Wednesday 1 May 2013

Rent in Concert - New Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham (30/04/2013)


As a fan of the show, I was incredibly excited to have the chance to see it performed again live in the theatre. Rent is such an empowering and moving show, its hard not to do it justice. Unfortunately for me, this production wasn't exactly the fine example I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the show, it's hard not too, but it had its faults. 

As it was billed as Rent in Concert, I wasn't expecting to see a fully staged production of the show, but by the interval I was left confused as to what is was exactly. The majority of the cast, seemed to be acting out the story, brilliantly I must add, and treating it like this was a low scale production of the musical, while others seemed to have no connection with the story and were simply treating it as a rock concertUnfortunately, poor direction left the show feeling under-rehearsed and inconsistent.

Unfortunately for me, it was Rory Taylor (Roger) and Kerry Ellis (Mimi) who weakened the show slightly. Although both of them were vocally faultless, their connection to the material, and on-stage relationship with each other and the rest of the cast, was lacking. For me, I also felt Kerry wasn't suited to Mimi at all and would have shone a lot more, if she were in a different role. Fortunately, the rest of the cast, who were also vocally perfect, lacked no connection and for me, made the show.

Leon Lopez in Rent in Concert © Darren Bell
Stand out performances were Leon Lopez (Collins) and Ian Stroughair (Angel) who were both vocally impeccable. The chemistry between them both was so believable. Lopez's performance of I'll Cover You (Reprise) in Act 2 was heart-wrenchingly beautiful, so much it reduced me to tears. Other notable performances were Nikki Davis-Jones' (Maureen) hilarious version of Over the Moon  and Tim Prottey-Jones' solo in Seasons of Love, which was insane and proves he deserves more than an Ensemble role.

Technically, the show was weak. At times, the band, which was brilliantly led by Rosalind Jones, overpowered the vocals, which made it difficult to hear and understand the cast. Also, the lighting was poorly executed at times, leaving some cast members in total darkness, whilst singing solo.

Overall, I would say it is still a great portrayal of Jonathan Larson's incredible work, portrayed by a cast of superb caliber and definitely still worth a watch, it just could of been so much more.

Rent in Concert continues on tour until May 5th. For more information and tickets visit http://www.rentinconcert.co.uk/

The Cast of Rent in Concert © Darren Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment